Malibu Elementary School
The new Malibu Elementary School
To prepare for the fall 2019 debut of Malibu Elementary School and its merged student bodies from Point Dume Marine Science School and Cabrillo Elementary, the district that year:
- Installed 10 portable classrooms on campus.
- Installed an additional bathroom building.
- The campus plumbing was upgraded, including a new septic system, to accommodate the additional students.
- The northern parking lot was also resurfaced.
- A new driveway was created to improve drop-off and pickup.
New playgrounds in 2020
During the summer of 2020, the district is installing a new playground that includes two-color turf, seat walls, a climbing net and a balance beam. The kindergarten play area will get soft bench seating and new shade structures.
The district completed its modernization of the campus in 2018. That included:
- New air conditioning throughout campus, including a service upgrade from Southern California Edison.
- New paint for all classrooms, interior spaces and exterior surfaces including roof trim, posts, door frames and handrails.
- Most doors on campus were replaced.
- Bathrooms were upgraded with new tile and fixtures.
- Accessibility of the bathrooms was upgraded.
- New fire alarm system.
- Energy-efficient roller shades were installed in all administrative and learning spaces.
Safety and security
- New door locks were installed in 2018.
- The campus has a visitor verification system now in use district-wide that helps staff keep track of who is at the school.
- Earthquake shut-off valves were installed on the natural gas lines in early 2019. They shut off the gas supply in a big enough seismic event, reducing the risk of fire.
- New fencing installed in 2019 allows students to move about the campus while in a secure perimeter.
Building Futures Archives
Fall 2018 (Point Dume Marine Science School)