Student Services - Enrollment
ENROLLING NEXT YEAR'S KINDERGARTENERS IN SMMUSD
2021-22 School Year:
Elementary schools throughout the Santa Monica-Malibu Unified School District will be welcoming resident parents of incoming Kindergarteners to tour the schools and find out more about enrolling their children for the 2021-22 school year. The events are planned for January 2021 in Malibu and February 2021 in Santa Monica with dates for each school posted online: Kindergarten RoundUp 2020-21
New Student Registration for Santa Monica and Malibu Residents
Registering your child in a school for the first time can be relatively easy if you are prepared.Following are a few
guidelines to help you:
- Registration takes place at your neighborhood school. Call the school directly for enrollment dates. (In order to find your school, click here or call 310-450-8338, ext. 70217.)
- You will need to verify your address. Click here for examples of proof of residency. Other documents such as a driver's license or business mail may be requested to confirm your address.
- You will need to verify your child's birth date with a birth certificate or passport.
- You will need to bring complete immunization records for all students and a doctor's verification of a physical examination for Kindergarten and First Graders. Up-to-date immunizations must be completed before your child may enter the classroom. Click here to see immunization requirements.
- For Middle/High School enrollment, you will need to provide a copy of your student’s recent transcript, with exit grades (for mid-year enrollment).
For Elementary School enrollment, you will need to provide a recent report card, with exit grades/progress report card. (for mid-year enrollment).
Your school of residence will provide you with a packet of forms and information which must be completed and returned. Enrollment requirements may vary slightly at each school.
Birthdate Enrollment Guidelines
- Click here for 2020-2021 birthdate enrollment guidelines
- Click here for 2021-2022 birthdate enrollment guidelines
School Attendance Boundaries
In order to alleviate overcrowding, the Superintendent or designee may place some students in a school outside of their attendance area. Parents / guardians of students who are attending schools outside of their attendance area shall be notified of the school their child will be attending as soon as possible. (Ref. BP 5116)