Student Services - Enrollment
ENROLLING NEXT YEAR'S KINDERGARTENERS IN SMMUSD
2021-22 School Year:
Elementary schools throughout the Santa Monica-Malibu Unified School District will be welcoming resident parents of incoming Kindergartners to tour the schools and find out more about enrolling their children for the 2021-22 school year. The events are planned for January 2021 in Malibu and February 2021 in Santa Monica with dates for each school posted online: Kindergarten RoundUp 2020-21
New Student Registration for Santa Monica and Malibu Residents
Registering your child at a school for the first time can be relatively easy if you are prepared. The following are a few
guidelines to help you:
- Registration takes place at your neighborhood school. Call the school directly for enrollment dates. (In order to find your school, click here or call 310-450-8338, ext. 70217.)
- You will need to verify your address. Click here for examples of proof of residency. Other documents such as a driver's license or business mail may be requested to confirm your address.
- You will need to verify your child's birth date with a birth certificate or passport.
- You will need to bring complete immunization records for all students and a doctor's verification of a physical examination for Kindergarten and First Graders. Up-to-date immunizations must be completed before your child can enter the classroom. Click here to see immunization requirements.
- For Middle/High School enrollment, you will need to provide a copy of your student’s recent transcript, with exit grades (for mid-year enrollment).
For Elementary School enrollment, you will need to provide a recent report card with exit grades/progress report card. (for mid-year enrollment).
Your school of residence will provide you with a packet of forms and information which must be completed and returned. Enrollment requirements may vary slightly at each school.
Birthdate Enrollment Guidelines
School Attendance Boundaries
In order to alleviate overcrowding, the Superintendent or designee may place some students in a school outside of their attendance area. Parents / guardians of students who are attending schools outside of their attendance area shall be notified of the school their child will be attending as soon as possible. (Ref. BP 5116)