District English Learners Advisory Committee (DELAC)
The District English Learners Advisory Committee (DELAC) is a state mandated advisory committee. Each district with 51 or more English learners, regardless of language, must form a functioning DELAC. The purpose of the DELAC, is to advise the Board of Education (in person and/or in writing) on programs and services for English learners.
Legal Requirements: The charge of the District English Learners Advisory Committee shall be to advise (review and comment) the Board of Education on at least the following:
- A timetable for development and revision of a district master plan of education programs and services for English learners, taking into consideration the school site master plans.
- A district wide needs assessment on a school-by-school basis.
- Establishment of district program, goals, and objectives for programs and service for English learners.
- Development of a plan to ensure compliance with any applicable teacher and/or teacher aide requirements.
- Administration of the annual language census (e.g. procedures and forms)
- Review and comment on the district reclassification procedures established pursuant to Education Code Section 52164.6.\
- Review and comment on the written parent notification of initial school enrollment required in Title 5, CCR Section 11303(a).
- Review and comment on any waiver request affecting program and services for English learners.
* Legal references: E.C. Sections 62002.5 and 33051(a); Former E.C, Sections 52176; 52168; and Title 5, CCR, Sections 43112 and 11303(a)