• Homeless Resources

    Homeless Youth Education Program
    Programa de Educación para Jóvenes Sin Hogar

    Homeless Education - McKinney Vento and Foster Youth Services

    A child experiencing homelessness is guaranteed enrollment in school by the federal McKinney Vento Act and California State law.
    Please contact TBA, SMMUSD Homeless and Foster Youth Liaison, to set up an appointment for immediate enrollment or for more information by calling 310-450-8338  x. 70208

    If you are staying temporarily in the Santa Monica Unified School District attendance area, complete the McKinney Vento form and Student Housing Questionnaire form by clicking the links at the bottom of the page and submit it to the SMMUSD Homeless Liaison tbrown@smmusd.org or drop-off at SMMUSD, 1717 4th St., Santa Monica, CA 90401. If needed, the homeless liaison is able to assist with printing forms if you do not have access to a computer or printer.

    Free Birth Certificates for People Experiencing Homelessness
    Under AB 1733, Californians experiencing homelessness, as defined further in the federal McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act, are eligible to receive, at no cost, a certified record of live birth or a state-issued photo identification card subject to several conditions.

    Foster Youth Services
    Foster Youth are considered students that are dependents or wards in foster care, protected under AB490 and AB 216 (2013). Foster youths have the same rights as other students in the District. The protection of these students includes, but is not limited to, the right to a stable school placement and the right to be immediately enrolled in school even if all the typically required school records or immunizations are not available.

    Los Angeles County - Homeless Youth Education Program
    Brochure in English
    Brochure in Spanish

    School-based services for homeless and foster youth:

    In addition, SMMUSD provides the following referrals for students/families in need:

    • Temporary housing (i.e. Upward Bound House Shelter and/or St. Joseph’s)
    • Medical, dental, vision and other health services
    • Food assistance
    • Clothing assistance
    • Social services
    • After-school care/programs

    Higher Education Help for Students Experiencing Homelessness
    The National Association for the Education of Homeless Children and Youth (NAEHCY) offers assistance, including but not limited, to:

    • Unaccompanied Homeless Youth who want to attend college but aren't sure what options are available to them to assist in paying for it.
    • Parents of students experiencing homelessness who wish to understand what support may be available to their children to help them attend college.
    • Scholarships

    For assistance with issues related to students experiencing homelessness accessing higher education, contact the NAEHCY Higher Education Helpline 1 (855) 446-2673 (toll-free) or highered@naehcy.org

    What I Need (WIN) APP 
    Our Children LA (OCLA) has launched WIN: What I Need, a mobile app (android, Apple and web versions) focusing on the needs of homeless youth. The free app is available in the iTunes and Google Play app stores, and the web version is available on OCLA’s website. (www.ourchildrenla.org )

    iTunes link:   https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/win-what-i-need/id1057836168?mt=8

    Housing Support