Fifth Grade Math Overview
Back to Elementary School Curriculum Guides >
Operations and Algebraic Thinking, OA
- Write and interpret numerical expressions.
- Analyze patterns and relationships.
Number and Operations in Base Ten, NBT
- Understand the place value system.
- Perform operations with multi-digit whole numbers and with decimals to hundredths.
Number and Operations - Fractions, NF
- Use equivalent fractions as strategy to add and substract fractions.
- Apply and extend previous understanding of multiplication and division to multiply and divide fractions.
Measurement and Data, MD
- Convert like measurement units within a given measurement system
- Represent and interpret data
- Geometric measurement: understand concepts of volume and relate volume to multiplication and to addition.
Guaranteed Viable Curriculum
Course Big Picture
- Make sense of problems and persevere in problem solving them.
- Reason abstractly and quantitatively
- Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others.
- Model with mathematics.
- Use appropriate tools strategically.
- Attend to precision
- Look for and make use of structure.
- Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning.