First Grade Math Overview
Back to Elementary School Curriculum Guides >
Operations and Algebraic Thinking, OA
- Represent and solve problems involving addition and subtraction
- Understand and apply properties of operations and the relationship between addition and subtraction
- Add and subtract within 20
- Work with addition and subtraction equations.
Number and Operations in Base Ten, NBT
- Extend the counting sequence
- Understand place value
- Use place value understanding and properties of operations to add and subtract
Measurement and Data, MD
- Measure lengths indirectly and by iterating length units
- Tell and write time
- Represent and interpret data
- Reason with shapes and their attributes
Guaranteed Viable Curriculum
Course Big Picture
- Make sense of problems and persevere in problem solving them.
- Reason abstractly and quantitatively
- Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others.
- Model with mathematics.
- Use appropriate tools strategically.
- Attend to precision
- Look for and make use of structure.
- Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning.