Public Records Request

  • Request for access to district records shall be placed in writing with the Superintendent or appropriate designee. Public records include any writing containing information relating to the conduct of the district’s business prepared, owned, used, or retained by the district regardless of physical form or characteristics (Government Code 6252).

    Under the California Public Records Act (CPRA), a public agency must provide non-privileged or non-exempt public records in response to a request that reasonably identifies a public record or records. The CPRA does not require a public agency to create documents, answer questions or interrogatories, or summarize any records to respond to a CPRA request.  The CPRA also does not require a public agency to make disclosable documents available within a certain time frame or by a set date established by the requestor.  Rather, public agencies are required to make an initial determination of whether they possess disclosable public records responsive to the request, and set an estimated date and time of when the records will be made available to the requestor.  (Gov. Code § 6253(c).)

    Every person may request a copy of any district record open to the public and not exempt from disclosure (Government Code 6253). Copying fees of $0.25 per page may be assessed. Checks are to be made payable to SMMUSD. If available, records may be provided electronically, or available for inspection. Within ten (10) days of receiving any request for a copy of records, the Superintendent or designee shall determine whether the request seeks copies of disclosable public records in the district’s possession.

    The Superintendent or designee shall promptly inform the person making the request of his/her determination and the reasons for the decision (Government Code 6253). In unusual circumstances, the Superintendent or designee may extend the 10-day limit for up to fourteen (14) days by providing written notice to the requester and setting forth the reasons for the extension and the date on which a determination is expected to be made.

    Public Records Request Form

    Visit: click on the Public Record Request button on the Let's Talk screen of options. NOTE: If you are seeking transcripts from your enrollment in a SMMUSD school, please contact the school you attended.