John Adams Middle School Dress Policy
In accordance with policy set forth by the Santa Monica-Malibu Board of Education (BP 5132), students shall not express themselves in ways that are “obscene, libelous, or slanderous.” In its desire to keep district schools and students free from the harmful influence of gangs, the Board also prohibits “the presence of any apparel; jewelry, accessory, notebook, or manner of grooming which by virtue of its color, trademark, arrangement, or any other attribute, denotes membership in any such group.” In addition, per our sexual harassment policy, students are not allowed to wear clothing with sexually explicit representations.
John Adams Middle School believes in giving its students enough freedom of choice in selecting their school clothes in a way that lets them express their individual creativity while still being respectful of others. These rules are in place in order to ensure the safety and well being of all students, and we ask parents to assist us by selecting clothing that meets the following criteria.
- No clothing with profanity is allowed.
- No clothing promoting violence is allowed.
- No clothing that advertises or promotes alcohol, tobacco, drugs or firearms is allowed.
- No clothing that would be offensive to a person of average reason or sensitivity or create a hostile environment for someone else due to gender, race, national origin, sexual orientation, cultural or national heritage, or religion is allowed.
Other inappropriate clothing:
- Exposed undergarments of any kind
- Transparent clothing
- Bare midriffs / low cut tops or pants/Tube tops
- Clothing bottoms…no shorter than your fists when your arms are hanging by your side
- Chains hanging from clothing, spiked jewelry or belts
- Bandanas and hoods are not allowed to be worn at any time on campus
- No flip-flop sandals or bedroom slippers... shoes must have closed backs or back strap.
Please note that none of these dress code requirements or refinements in any way imply that anyone would ever be less than fully responsible for their own behavior; regardless of the dress of another. Students who violate any part of this dress code will be given an opportunity to change into their own clothing or into school-provided alternative clothing. Administration reserves the right to make final determination as to the appropriateness of dress.
PHYSICAL EDUCATION DRESS POLICY
Students are expected to dress and participate on a daily basis in physical education. The school's PE uniform (shirts, shorts, and sweats) are sold in the student store. Students will be allowed to wear a plain gray shirt and navy blue shorts in lieu of the official physical education uniform. Failure to dress for physical education will result in academic consequences. Students are required to use a JAMS lock only. Key locks are not permitted.