National Junior Honor Society
NJHS Mission Statement
The National Junior Honor Society is a nationally recognized student service society whose purpose is to create enthusiasm for learning, stimulate a desire to render service, promote leadership, develop character, and encourage excellent citizenship.
NJHS members are already great students and school citizens. JAMS NJHS focuses on service to JAMS, Santa Monica and the Los Angeles communities. NJHS members volunteer and raise money for service organizations such as APLA, The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society and Westside Food Bank.
Grades: Earn a B average (3.0) with no failing grades. Citizenship: Earn satisfactory (S) or better in all classes.
Attendance: Attend one informational meeting per month. Meetings will be held one day per week from 3:10 to 3:40 on rotating days to meet the schedules of our very involved students.
Participation: Participate in at least 12 hours of community service activities. NOTE: These hours are separate and in addition to 8th grade graduation hours. They do count toward the Presidential Award)
Dues: After your application is approved, $10 is due at the initiation meeting which will be this June. (Scholarships are available-please see Mr. Reynolds if you need information)
National Junior Honor Society Activities (Partial List)
- Coastal Cleanup Day at Ocean Park Beach Tower 27, 9am to Noon
- AIDS Walk (10K), City Hall and Grand Park, DTLA, 8:30 to Noon
- Hunger Walk (5K), Ocean View Park, Santa Monica, 12:00 to 4:00
- Aga Kahn Walk (5Kish), Santa Monica Pier, 9:00 to Noon
- Westside Thanksgiving Eve Prep (Location VA or TBA), Shifts vary
- Westside Thanksgiving Day (Location VA or TBA), Early AM shift
- Westside Foodbank Food/Cash Drive
- Toy and cash drive for Santa Monica Police Activities League
- Individual community service hours can be arranged and are accepted from the following organizations.
NKLA Pet Adoption Center, 1845 Pontius Avenue, West Los Angeles
Santa Monica Public Libraries, Various locations
Karma Rescue, Various locations
American Cancer Society Discovery Shop, 920 Wilshire Blvd, Santa Monica
If you serve an organization that helps those who are at risk (people, animals or environment), socioeconomically disadvantaged, or discriminated against, please confirm with me and I will make arrangements to get you NJHS hours for those services.
National Junior Honor Society Application