District Notices, SART, and SARB
SMMUSD and McKinley regularly informs parents about their child’s attendance, and expresses the importance of attendance. Attendance and tardy information will be listed on students’ report cards, emails will go home asking for reasons for absences, and parents will receive letters from the District and Principal and conferences will occur as needed (see below). Unexcused absences, excessive absences, and excessive tardies/early-outs violate the state’s compulsory attendance laws for school-age children. You will receive letters notifying you that you are not in compliance. Failure to demonstrate improved attendance will result in a possible referral to the Student Attendance Review Board (SARB). For families on permit this may mean revocation of an inter-district permit.
- Letter 1: 3+ Unexcused (considered Truant)
- Letter 2: 6+ Unexcused (referred to the Assistant Principal and Attendance Office Specialist for a Student Attendance Review Team (SART) Conference to discuss attendance)
- Letter 3: 9+ Unexcused (considered Habitual Truant- referred to the Student Attendance Review Board (SARB) for a meeting at the SMMUSD office with school district personnel and a Santa Monica District Attorney).
- Letter 1: 7+ Excused (considered Excessively Excused)
- Letter 2: 14+ Excused (may be referred for a SART and/or SARB conference)
Please be aware that 3 tardies over 30 minutes, or 3 early outs, will equal 1 absence.