Health and Emergency Information

  • Emergency Cards:
    Emergency Cards enable teachers and office staff to contact the appropriate person if a child becomes ill or has an accident. Please keep your records up to date with the correct names, addresses, and telephone numbers. This is vital to the safety and welfare of your child. Inform the school office and the school nurse of any changes of this information.

    Disaster Drills:
    McKinley holds fire and other emergency drills on a regular basis so that all students will automatically respond to an emergency situation. The school has an emergency preparedness plan, which is reviewed and Revised annually as necessary. After an emergency, such as an earthquake, the school will remain open until all children are picked up by their parents or the adult designated on the emergency card.

    School Nurse:
    A registered nurse is at McKinley on select days. We have a health clerk Monday – Friday for 3 ½ hours. Please check with the office for the current nursing schedule. Our office staff will assist in the Health Office as needed. The Health Office provides emergency first aid only for injuries or an illness during school. You will be contacted, if necessary, using the phone numbers listed on your emergency cards in the office. Please make sure to update your emergency cards as needed during the school year. To reach the Health Office call 310-828-5011 ext 65119. For more information on Health Services please visit their web site.

    If your child becomes sick or injured at school:
    He or she cannot be released without the consent of a parent, guardian or other person listed on the emergency card. Elementary school children are not permitted to go home alone during the school day. McKinley is not equipped to care for children who are ill. Please assist us by picking up your child in a timely manner when he/she is ill. Do not send children to school if they appear to be ill. Your child must be fever-free for 24 hours before returning to school.

    It is strongly recommended that each child have a thorough examination at least once a year, preferably before entering school in the fall. If, following an injury or illness your child has a cast or needs to use crutches at school, a note from the doctor is required. Students absent from school for 5 or more days because of illness will need a doctor's note.

    If your child needs medication at school:
    Parents must bring the medication and a doctor's and parent's written request to the school nurse. All medication must be labeled with the student's name, correct dosage and name of the drug by a pharmacy, medical doctor or health clinic. STUDENTS MAY NOT CARRY ANY TYPE OF MEDICATION WITH THEM THIS INCLUDES OVER THE COUNTER MEDICATIONS.

    Student Accident Insurance:
    Once a year McKinley sends home an application for student accident insurance to all parents. Without it, you are expected to have your own coverage for any school accidents.

    For more information about Student Accident insurance, visit the school office.