Personalized Project-Based Learning (PPBL) Pathway
For students who solve through inquiry and learn by doing.
This program is part of a successful network of almost 200 project-based learning schools globally. Students engage in internships and multi-disciplinary projects based on their interests. They graduate with a Samohi diploma and real-world experience prepared to thrive in college and career.
- Get an individualized, interest-based learning plan.
- Learn academic content fully aligned to California state standards, through integrated and rigorous real-world projects.
- Have ability to revise/improve/learn and receive personal feedback on progress.
- Have professional industry internships to connect interests to fieldwork, and to build skills and a professional network.
- Benefit from small class sizes (have their voices heard and maintain strong relationships with teacher advisors).
- Include parents and community as valued partners.
- Experience hands-on making in the Innovation Lab.
- Enjoy SMMUSD's newly renovated learning facility, the Obama Center, on Ocean Park & Lincoln.
- Participate with Samohi friends in sports, clubs, social events, art and theater course, languages and more!
- Take SMC courses in high school and graduate with a Samohi diploma.
- Are collge and future ready!
The PPBL pathway began in the fall of 2019 with ninth grade students and will continue to grow to include students in all grades over the next three years. We will accept 100 Freshmen by lottery for the 2020-2021 school year, and are also accepting sophomores based on space availability.
Applicants must be current SMMUSD students or reside within SMMUSD boundaries prior to the April 2021 lottery. We seek to have balanced representation from all SMMUSD middle school programs (LMS, JAMS, SMASH and MMS) and strive to represent our community by ensuring a minimum of 26% socio-economically disadvantaged students, English learners, and students with disabilities. Applications must be submitted by 3pm on March 20th, 2021. Admission and waitlist notifications will be delivered in April.
Register for a PPBL Q&A ZOOM session with current students, parents and staff
Are you a student fueled by curiosity who learns through inquiry and community experiences? We encourage you to apply to the Samohi PPBL pathway for 9th grade. Register for a PPBL Q&A ZOOM session with current students, parents and staff to learn more about this distinctive option for your high school experience:
PPBL Pathway – Q & A Sessions via Zoom - click on the date to register for a Zoom session: