Student Services - Enrollment


    2024-25 School Year:
    Elementary schools throughout the Santa Monica-Malibu Unified School District will be welcoming resident parents of incoming Kindergartners to tour the schools and find out more about enrolling their children for the 2024-25 school year. The events are planned for January 25, 2024. More information is coming soon.

    New Student Registration for Santa Monica and Malibu Residents

    Registering your child at a school for the first time can be relatively easy if you are prepared. The following are a few
    guidelines to help you:

    1. Registration takes place at your neighborhood school. Call the school directly for enrollment dates. (In order to find your school, click here.)
    2. You will need to verify your address. Click here for examples of proof of residency. Other documents such as a driver's license or business mail may be requested to confirm your address.
    3. You will need to verify your child's birth date with a birth certificate or passport.
    4. You will need to bring complete immunization records for all students and a doctor's verification of a physical examination for Kindergarten and First Graders. Up-to-date immunizations must be completed before your child may enter the classroom. Click here to see immunization requirements.
    5. For Middle/High School enrollment, you will need to provide a copy of your student’s recent transcript, with exit grades (for mid-year enrollment).
      For Elementary School enrollment, you will need to provide a recent report card with grades or progress report card. (for mid-year enrollment).

    Your school of residence will provide you with a packet of forms and information which must be completed and returned. Enrollment requirements may vary slightly at each school.

    School Locator

    Click on the link and enter your address to find your child's home school and location.

    Birthdate Enrollment Guidelines

    School Attendance Boundaries

    In order to alleviate overcrowding, the Superintendent or designee may place some students in a school outside of their residential attendance area. Parents / guardians of students who are attending schools outside of their residential attendance area shall be notified of the school their child will be attending as soon as possible. (Ref. BP 5116)