SMMUSD Enrollment Information
Enrollment / Permits / Verification of Continuing Enrollment for 2024-25 school year:
Elementary schools throughout the Santa Monica-Malibu Unified School District will be welcoming resident parents of incoming TK or Kindergartners to tour the schools and find out more about enrolling their children for the 2024-25 school year. The events are planned for January 25, 2024. More information is coming soon. In order to find your school, click here.
New Student Registration for Santa Monica and Malibu Residents
Registering your child in a school for the first time can be relatively easy if you are prepared. Following are a few guidelines to help you:
- Registration takes place at your neighborhood school. Call the school directly for enrollment dates. (In order to find your school, click here.)
- You will need to verify your address. Click here for examples of proof of residency. Other documents such as a driver's license or business mail may be requested to confirm your address.
- Documents Required for Verification/Proof of Residency
Once Proof of Residency documentation has been submitted and verified, the enrollment staff will provide enrollment documents to complete electronically. The completed forms must be scanned and returned to the school site enrollment department. Please note, you will be required to submit actual current proof of residency documentation dated within 45 days of the date of reopening to the office staff at your enrollment site. The proof of utilities and business mail will be required to be submitted in person to finalize the enrollment process. You must present the physical mail from the same companies submitted via electronic enrollment. Your school site will notify you when enrollment for your student has been completed/finalized.
- You will need to verify your child's birth date with a birth certificate or passport.
- You will need to bring complete immunization records for all students and a doctor's verification of a physical examination for Kindergarten and First Graders. Up-to-date immunizations must be completed before your child may enter the classroom. Click here to see immunization requirements.
- For Middle/High School enrollment, you will need to provide a copy of your student’s recent transcript, with exit grades (for mid-year enrollment).
For Elementary School enrollment, you will need to provide a recent report card, with exit grades/progress report card. (for mid-year enrollment).
Your school of residence will provide you with a packet of forms and information which must be completed and returned. Enrollment requirements may vary slightly at each school.
For information regarding permits please click the following link: SMMUSD PERMITS INFORMATION
Birthdate Enrollment Guidelines
- Click here for 2024-25 birthdate enrollment guidelines
- Click here for 2023-24 birthdate enrollment guidelines
School Attendance Boundaries
In order to alleviate overcrowding, the Superintendent or designee may place some students in a school outside of their residential attendance area. Parents / guardians of students who are attending schools outside of their residential attendance area shall be notified of the school their child will be attending as soon as possible. (Ref. BP 5116)
How do I submit an Intradistrict or Interdistrict permit application?
Intradistrict permit applications are now available on the District website:
https://www.smmusd.org/Permits. Applications are only accepted electronically. Applications must be submitted by April 30th! Decisions will be made regarding approval/denial by the second week of August 2024. Please make sure your student is registered in their home school of residence for the 2024-2025 school year. Students cannot be transferred if they are not already in the Student Information System.
Interdistrict permit applications are now available on the District website:
https://www.smmusd.org/Permits. Applications are only accepted electronically. Applications must be submitted by June 30th! Decisions will be made regarding approval/denial based on space availability in school/program requested by the second week of August. Please make sure your student is registered in their home school of residence for the 2024-2025 school year so that they have a spot to attend school. Your permit release from your home district only goes into effect if we approve your permit application for your child to attend SMMUSD.
Verification of Continuing Enrollment for Interdistrict Permit Students:
Students who reside outside the boundaries of SMMUSD who are currently enrolled in a SMMUSD school on an Interdistrict permit must submit a Verification of Continuing Enrollment form every year. This information applies to students currently enrolled in SMMUSD on an Interdistrict permit. Please submit your verification of Continuing Enrollment by June 1, 2024. Verification of Continuing Enrollment forms can be found: https://www.smmusd.org/Permits. If your original application was based on employment, please submit proof of employment with the form. Please do not email or fax the form.