SMMUSD Enrollment Information
ENROLLING NEXT YEAR'S KINDERGARTENERS IN SMMUSD
2022-23 School Year:
Elementary schools throughout the Santa Monica-Malibu Unified School District will be welcoming resident parents of incoming Kindergarteners to tour the schools and find out more about enrolling their children for the 2022-23 school year. The events are planned for January 27, 2022. More information coming soon.
New Student Registration for Santa Monica and Malibu Residents
Registering your child in a school for the first time can be relatively easy if you are prepared. Following are a few
guidelines to help you:
- Registration takes place at your neighborhood school. Call the school directly for enrollment dates. (In order to find your school, click here.)
- You will need to verify your address. Click here for examples of proof of residency. Other documents such as a driver's license or business mail may be requested to confirm your address.
- You will need to verify your child's birth date with a birth certificate or passport.
- You will need to bring complete immunization records for all students and a doctor's verification of a physical examination for Kindergarten and First Graders. Up-to-date immunizations must be completed before your child may enter the classroom. Click here to see immunization requirements.
- For Middle/High School enrollment, you will need to provide a copy of your student’s recent transcript, with exit grades (for mid-year enrollment).
For Elementary School enrollment, you will need to provide a recent report card, with exit grades/progress report card. (for mid-year enrollment).
Your school of residence will provide you with a packet of forms and information which must be completed and returned. Enrollment requirements may vary slightly at each school.
For information regarding permits please click the following link: SMMUSD PERMITS INFORMATION
Click on the link and enter your address to find your child's home school and location.
Birthdate Enrollment Guidelines
- Click here for 2022-2023 birthdate enrollment guidelines
- Click here for 2021-2022 birthdate enrollment guidelines
School Attendance Boundaries
In order to alleviate overcrowding, the Superintendent or designee may place some students in a school outside of their residential attendance area. Parents / guardians of students who are attending schools outside of their residential attendance area shall be notified of the school their child will be attending as soon as possible. (Ref. BP 5116)