SMMUSD Enrollment Information

  • Enrollment / Permits / Verification of Continuing Enrollment for 2024-25 school year:

    2024-25 School Year:
    Transitional Kindergarten /Kindergarten/ New Student Enrollment for the 2024-25 school year is coming soon!
    TK / Kindergarten and new student enrollment for SMMUSD school sites will begin in February 2024 for the 2024-25 school year.  In order to obtain enrollment documents, you must first prove residency within our SMMUSD attendance boundaries. You should visit your designated school's website for that site’s process regarding electronic submission of residency verification. In order to find your school, click here.

    New Student Registration for Santa Monica and Malibu Residents

    Registering your child at a school for the first time can be relatively easy if you are prepared. The following are a few guidelines to help you:

    1. Registration takes place at your neighborhood school. Call the school directly for enrollment dates. (In order to find your school, click here.)
    2. You will need to verify your address. Click here for examples of proof of residency. Other documents such as a driver's license or business mail may be requested to confirm your address.
    3. Documents Required for Verification/Proof of Residency
      Once Proof of Residency documentation has been submitted and verified, the enrollment staff will provide enrollment documents to complete electronically. The completed forms must be scanned and returned to the school site enrollment department. Please note, you will be required to submit actual current proof of residency documentation dated within 45 days of the date of reopening to the office staff at your enrollment site. The proof of utilities and business mail will be required to be submitted in person to finalize the enrollment process. You must present the physical mail from the same companies submitted via electronic enrollment. Your school site will notify you when enrollment for your student has been completed/finalized.
    4. You will need to verify your child's birth date with a birth certificate or passport.
    5. You will need to bring complete immunization records for all students and a doctor's verification of a physical examination for Kindergarten and First Graders. Up-to-date immunizations must be completed before your child may enter the classroom. Click here to see immunization requirements.
    6. For elementary school enrollment, you will need to provide a recent report card, with exit grades/progress report card. (for mid-year enrollment).

    Birthdate Enrollment Guidelines

    School Attendance Boundaries
    In order to alleviate overcrowding, the Superintendent or designee may place some students in a school outside of their residential attendance area. Parents / guardians of students who are attending schools outside of their residential attendance area shall be notified of the school their child will be attending as soon as possible. (Ref. BP 5116)

    How do I submit an Intradistrict or Interdistrict permit application?
    All permit information is available at:

    Verification of Continuing Enrollment for Interdistrict Permit Students:
    Students who reside outside the boundaries of SMMUSD who are currently enrolled in a SMMUSD school on an Interdistrict permit must submit a Verification of Continuing Enrollment form every year. This information applies to students currently enrolled in SMMUSD on an Interdistrict permit. Please submit your verification of Continuing Enrollment by June 1, 2024. Verification of Continuing Enrollment forms can be found: If your original application was based on employment, please submit proof of employment along with the form.