Independent Study in Physical Education (ISPE) is an educational option designed by the California Department of Education (CDE) and approved by the Santa Monica-Malibu Unified School District (SMMUSD). Since ISPE is an alternative instructional strategy, not an alternative curriculum, students follow the same course of study and meet the same academic standards as classroom-based students. Students are required to complete 200 minutes of physical activity during the school week AND six curriculum packets that meet the PE model content standards adopted by the State Board of Education that involve five overarching standards. ISPE typically involves a physical activity in which the applicant has become highly competitive at a local, regional, or state level. A major factor in determining acceptance or rejection of this request will be the difference between a recreational and a competitive program.
Grading and Credit Policy
- ISPE students will receive a grade of PASS (P) or FAIL (F).
- Course credit is earned when a grade of PASS is earned at the end of the semester.
- A passing grade is earned by satisfactorily fulfilling ISP agreement including submitting complete and accurate ISPE Activity Logs with a minimum of 200 minutes of physical activity with the agreed upon coach during the school week and completing the 6 required curriculum packs. All paperwork must be submitted on time.
- Students turning in the Activity Log Form late will receive a grade of FAIL (F) on their progress report. Students must turn in 2 out of 3 successfully completed logs for each grading period to receive a final grade of PASS (P).
- The site administrator or designee may review an ISPE agreement for students who fail to satisfactorily fulfill one or more parts of the ISPE agreement.
Applications are due by April 16, 2021. NO LATE/INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS will be reviewed past the deadline.
Applications can be submitted one of the following ways ATTN: DARCI KELEHER:
- Dropped off at Lincoln Middle School
- Mailed to Lincoln Middle School (1501 California Ave. Santa Monica, CA 90403)
- Emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org