Independent Study Program (ISP)
The Olympic High School based Independent Study Program (ISP) is an alternative education program provided by the Santa Monica-Malibu Unified School District (SMMUSD). It serves students from SAMOHI and Olympic High School and is an alternative educational option to the traditional classroom instruction model. The program utilizes an alternative instructional strategy in which students work independently, according to a written agreement and under the general supervision of a credentialed teacher. While independent study students follow the District's adopted curriculum and meet the District's graduation requirements, independent study offers flexibility to meet individual student needs, interests, and styles of learning. ISP is a personalized educational alternative in which students work closely with an ISP teacher in one-on-one meetings or small group instruction. Enrollment in ISP is a voluntary educational option chosen by students and parents.
To graduate from SAMOHI or Olympic High School an ISP student must successfully pass 220 semester credits in grades 9-12. The 220 credits are divided into 155 credits called The Basic Program of Required Courses and 65 elective credits.
- The student agrees to meet with or report to the teacher regularly, in accordance with the location, frequency, day(s), and time specified here or on the course contract and work-record form.
- The Independent Study program is designed to help students meet the requirements for a high school diploma from the Santa Monica-Malibu Unified School District.
- Four-year universities have very specific requirements for lab science and visual and performing arts classes. As such, to meet UC/CSU eligibility, students must take their biological science, physical science and VPA courses outside of the IS program. Options include (and require administrative approval from the home school): taking a maximum of 20 credits per year through the traditional SAMOHI program; EdAhead Summer School, and additionally, with pre-approval from the home school, we would allow students to take outside courses that are WASC accredited and UC/CSU A & G approved for lab science, language, and VPA. All other required course work for graduation must be completed through the IS program.
- Independent Study students may, with administrative approval, take up to a maximum of 20 credits per year on the SAMOHI campus. IS students will be placed, space permitting, only after all traditional students have been scheduled into their classes.
- This program is not intended for acceleration for early graduation. AP classes are also not offered in this program.
- The coursework in IS may or may not be accepted by the NCAA eligibility center for a Division I or Division II school athletics programs.
For more information, contact:
Christie Thobe, ISP Teacher
310-392-2494 x66112 or 310-392-2991