- Fever ≥ 100°F, chills
- Shortness of breath*, difficulty breathing
- Diarrhea and/or Vomiting
If your child or anyone in your household are experiencing the above symptoms, please follow these steps:
- Stay home or go home immediately
- Keep all siblings home until you are cleared by the site nurse
- Call your Healthcare Provider and get a COVID PCR test (not Antigen) - submit result to site School Nurse
- Report symptoms to the School Nurse
- Report absence attendance office
- Follow Home Isolation Instructions (English) (Español)
- DO NOT come to campus until official medical clearance from School Nurse is received
Additional Symptoms of COVID-19:
- Sore throat
- Runny/stuffy nose*
- Muscle/body aches
- Headache (new)
- New loss of taste or smell
- Poor appetite
Multi-System Inflammatory Syndrome is a rare, but serious childhood complication of COVID-19. Common symptoms include those listed above as well as confusion or being overly tired.
*If you or your child have a chronic or underlying condition that may cause similar symptoms, documentation from your Healthcare Provider is required. Please send a copy of this documentation to the site School Nurse.
COVID-19 Positive Test Result
- Stay home & follow Home Isolation Instructions (English) (Español) 10 days
- Siblings in the household must also stay home & follow Home Quarantine instructions
- Notify your site School Nurse & site attendance immediately
- Do not come to campus until isolation period is over & official medical clearance from School Nurse is received
Return to campus after COVID-19 symptoms or Positive Test Result
Staff or students with COVID-19 symptoms or a positive test result must follow the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health Home Isolation Orders.
Staff and students may ONLY return in person to school when all criteria have been met***:
- 10 days have passed since the onset of symptoms or a positive COVID-19 test result AND
- Fever-free for 24hrs prior to return WITHOUT fever reducing medication AND
- Symptoms are improving or have resolved AND
- Student symptoms do not interfere with mask wearing throughout the school day
- School Nurse has provided clearance to return***
- ***Please note, a negative COVID-19 PCR test result does not provide clearance to return to campus
Return to campus PRIOR to Home Isolation 10 day requirement only when all criteria have been met***:
- Negative Covid-19 PCR test submitted to site nurse
- Individual must also be fever-free for 24hrs without fever reducing medication AND
- Improvement of symptoms for 24 hours AND
- School Nurse has provided clearance
*Additional medical documentation may also be required by site RN
If you are exposed to COVID-19 and are unvaccinated, you must quarantine for 10 days and follow quarantine instructions found here.
You are considered exposed if you have:
- Been within 6 feet of someone with confirmed COVID-19 for a total of 15 minutes within a 24 hour period with or without a mask.
- Had any unprotected contact with bodily fluids (saliva, mucous, blood, vomit, stool).
- The contacts of the quarantined individuals (ie. Siblings) are not considered exposed and do not need to be quarantined, per LACDPH.
*If fully vaccinated (>2 weeks after last vaccine dose) & exposed to COVID-19, quarantine is not needed. However, if symptoms develop or a + COVID-19 PCR test result is received, then follow Home Isolation instructions above.
COVID-19 Travel Guidelines
Out of state or out of country travel is included as a potential COVID-19 exposure and a quarantine period is recommended but not required - refer to current Health Orders. If you choose to take a travel quarantine, please notify your site attendance office.
COVID-19 Prevention Strategies
Face coverings (Español) need to be worn correctly by completely covering the nose and mouth.
Physical Distancing (Español) of 6ft must be maintained at all times to the extent possible with members outside of your household.
- Handwashing - Wet hands. add soap. scrub front and back of hands, in-between fingers, fingernails, thumbs, and wrists for 20 seconds. Rinse. Dry.
- Hand Sanitizer - must be used under direct supervision of young children. 60% or greater alcohol content. Follow instructions for handwashing and AIR DRY.
- Cough & Sneeze into your elbow and clean hands.
Cleaning and Disinfecting (Español): Read labels on all cleaning products. Clean surfaces first to remove dirt. Apply disinfectant as instructed with enough dwell time (time disinfectant must stay wet on surface to kill germs).
All information regarding a person’s COVID-19 status is confidential information. The School Nurse, in partnership with LA County Department of Public Health, will be involved with contact tracing, determining exposure and notifying close contacts. If you have questions or concerns, please contact the School Nurse at your site.