AB104 Update

  • Pupil instruction: retention, grade changes, and exemptions. (2021-2022)

    On Thursday, July 1, 2021, Governor Newsom signed. Assembly Bill 104 into law, and we'd like to provide you with important information on how this legislation may relate to your student. The bill contained three major provisions: retention, grading, and graduation policies.

    Below you will find information about each provision:

    In preparation for the 2021-22 school year, students will be eligible for a retention consultation if they received deficient grades for at least one-half of their coursework in 2020-21 and their parents are interested in holding them back a grade level. Deficient grades include grades of D, F, or No Pass. This temporary retention policy is in addition to any existing district retention policies. Students who were in 12th grade in 2020-21 are not eligible.

    Parents/guardians of eligible students must request the retention consultation in writing. Districts then have 30 calendar days to hold the consultation and 10 calendar days after that meeting to issue a final decision.

    How to Request Retention Consultation
    If you would like to request a retention consultation for your “eligible pupil” (a pupil who has received deficient grades for at least one-half of the pupil’s coursework in the 2020-21 academic year), please follow these steps:

    1. Print, fill out, sign, and date the AB 104 Retention Consultation Request form (English or Spanish).
    2. Submit the AB 104 Retention Consultation Request form to the school principal at the elementary level and to the assistant principal or house principal at the secondary level.

    You will be contacted and a consultation meeting will be held within 30 calendar days after submitting your request

    AB 104 permits parents or guardians of students who were in high school in 2020-21 (or the student, if they have turned 18) to request letter grades for last year be changed to Pass/No Pass on transcripts. The new law requires CSU, and encourages UC and private postsecondary institutions, to accept those grade designations without prejudice.

    Process for Requesting a Grade Change
    To be eligible for a grade change, the pupil must have been enrolled in high school in the 2020-21 academic year. The application form to request a grade change may be downloaded at:

    There is no limit on the number or type of courses eligible for a grade change.  However, please note that grade change requests for a dual enrollment/concurrent enrollment course taught by faculty outside of the school district are subject to consultation with the institution that awarded the grade.

    The application must be submitted to gradechange@smmusd.org by no later than August 17, 2021. ANY APPLICATION RECEIVED AFTER THAT DATE WILL BE REJECTED, PURSUANT TO THE REQUIREMENTS OF THE LEGISLATION.

    Within 15 calendar days of receiving the application, you will be notified that the change to the pupil’s transcript has been made.

    Important Information Regarding Potential Impact of Grade Changes on College Admissions
    Assembly Bill 104 requires that the California State University system not penalize students for Pass/No Pass grades for admission purposes for any applicant who was enrolled in a California high school during any school year from the 2020-21 school year to the 2023-24 school year.

    This requirement does not apply to the University of California, private postsecondary educational institutions in California, or any public or private postsecondary educational institution outside of California.

    A list of postsecondary educational institutions in California that have indicated they will not penalize students for Pass/No Pass grades for admission purposes may be found at www.cde.ca.gov/ci/gs/ps/ab104surveyresults.asp

    PLEASE NOTE: Some postsecondary educational institutions, including those in other states, may not accept a Pass or No Pass grade instead of a letter grade for admission purposes.  If the pupil in question has applied for, or is intending to apply for admission to a postsecondary educational institution that does not appear on the list noted above, a consultation with the Admissions office of that institution is highly recommended.

    To request an unofficial copy of your student’s revised transcript, contact your school's Records Clerk.

    For questions regarding this grade change process you may contact:
    Adam Almeida, Assistant Principal at Malibu High School at aalmeida@smmusd.org
    Tristan Komlos, House Principal Santa Monica High School at tkomlos@smmusd.org
    Nicole Nicodemus, Assistant Principal at PBL Pathway at nnicodemus@smmusd.org
    Anthony Fuller, Principal at Olympic High School at afuller@smmusd.org
    Dr. Alicia Baillie, Director of Assessment, Research and Evaluation at abaillie@smmusd.org

    AB 104 exempts 2020-21 juniors, and seniors from high school graduation requirements beyond the statewide requirements if they are not on track to graduate in four years and requires school districts to provide opportunities for juniors and seniors to the statewide graduation requirements through, among other avenues, a fifth year in high school.

    Please contact your school site with any additional questions you may have.

    Instrucción de los estudiantes: repetición, cambios en las calificaciones y exenciones. (2021-2022)