|Updated March 2019
On February 5, 2008, the voters of Santa Monica and Malibu approved by 73.03% the Measure R parcel tax, which combines and replaces the previous Measures Y and S parcel taxes, contains a CPI-U adjustment, and allows those senior citizens who meet the following criteria to be exempted from the tax:
Filing Period for NEW applicants start on April 1, 2019.
- Senior property owner must be at least 65 years of age by June 30th for the year the exemption application is submitted
- Senior must own and be residing in their property as their primary residence
How to Apply:
***Attention: Only use this application form for NEW applications. Parcels that received an exemption in 2018-2019 AND continue to meet the eligibility criteria will be automatically exempted for 2019-2020. If you wish to check your status, please email MeasureR@smmusd.org with your name and address or parcel number. ***
- Download the Senior Citizen Exemption Application form > (This is a fillable form. Save to desktop, then fill out and print. Sign and return by mail with required documentation).
- Printed applications are also available in our office at 1651 16th Street, Santa Monica, CA 90404 between the hours of 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Completed & signed applications must be returned, along with required proofs of age, property ownership, and residence to:
Measure R Office - Senior Citizen Exemption
Santa Monica-Malibu Unified School District
1651 16th Street
Santa Monica, CA 90404-3891
Applications must be received and/or postmarked by June 30 for the year the exemption application is submitted (For example, June 30, 2019 for 2019-2020 tax year).
- California Driver’s License
- California Identification Card
- Utility Bill (such as SoCalGas, Southern California Edison, Internet Bill, Cable Bill, Telephone Bill) - Must show service for senior applicant and property address.
- DMV auto registration
- Voter registration
- Property Tax Bill
- Title/Grant Deed