SMMUSD Homepage         

Facility Use and Permits

SMMUSD is pleased to make school facilities available for rental when they are not being used for school programs and activities.

The Facility Use Department coordinates all outside use of school facilities including filming on school property, large special events, meetings, after school programs, and the use of auditoriums and other theatrical spaces.

All outside events require a permit from the Facility Use Department. Learn how to obtain a Facility Use Department below.


Please review the Rules of Use for Facilities when considering the use of school facilities. There are policies and regulations (such as the State law prohibiting the use of tobacco and alcohol on school sites) that you need to be aware of and be willing to honor.


Availability Request Form
Please download and fill out an Availability Request Form. Submitting an Availability Request Form does not commit you to a rental or reserve a space.

Select a Facility
NEED HELP SELECTING A FACILITY? Leave blank the boxes referring to "school site" and "facility."

Turn in Your Request Form
Return the Availability Request Form to the Facility Permit Office by email (, fax (310-255-7992) or mail (Santa Monica HS, Attn: Facility Permits, 601 Pico Blvd., Santa Monica, CA 90405.) Our office will send the Availability Request Form to the appropriate Administrator to determine if the facility is available on the date and time of your request.


If the facility is available, our office will send you a rough estimate of costs. The estimate may be revised as we learn more about your event and your needs.

Board Policy 1330
Click here for Category Definitions, Permit Fees, and Personnel Costs.

Fee Categories
To determine your fee category, use the Rate Flow Chart.

Facility Fee Schedule
Rental fees are based on the Facility Fee Schedule approved by the Board of Education.


During the entire term of this application and any extension or modification thereof, the Licensee shall maintain General Liability insurance coverage with a minimum limit of $1,000,000 per occurrence and $2,000,000 general aggregate, and if Licensee's employees perform work on the premises, Worker's Compensation insurance per the statutory requirement. Insurance carriers providing the required coverage must have an A.M. Best's rating of "A" or better. A Certificate of Insurance must be provided with the application showing that the required coverage is in place and that the Santa Monica-Malibu Unified School District is named an Additional Insured on the General Liability coverage. An Additional Insured Endorsement page must be attached to the Certificate of Insurance.


If you choose to proceed, the Facility Use Department develops a rental agreement and invoice for the permit.  Please review the Sample Rental Agreement and applicable Riders: Athletic FacilitiesCafeteria/KitchenFilming/ProductionTheater/AuditoriumsTheater/Filming.


To complete the permit, you will need to provide the following items to the Facility Use Department:

Signed agreement – It must be signed by an authorized representative of your group.
Check for rental fee as per the invoice.
Check for security deposit. If a refundable security deposit is required as part of this agreement, the amount will be determined by the Facility Use Department. Your check will be held and returned, uncashed, unless needed to cover damage or personnel overages.
Insurance certificate. You must present a Certificate of Liability Insurance of at least $1,000,000 naming SMMUSD as additionally insured. If your group does not have liability insurance, let us know and we can help you obtain insurance for your event.
Non-Profit – Non-profit organizations must present their letter of determination from the IRS to receive the lower non-profit rates.
Rules of Use -
Riders (if applicable) - see examples under RENTAL AGREEMENT.


When all documents have been received, the Facility Use Department will issue you a rental permit. You must have a copy of the permit with you while you are on the facility. Facility use is approved only when a completed permit has been issued.


For more information, please contact the Facility Use Department. Our office is in the basement of Barnum Hall on the campus of Santa Monica High School. The office is open for telephone calls from 9:30am - 6:00pm, Monday – Friday, at 310-395-3204, ext. 71586. For personal visits, please phone ahead, though we are usually in the office between 9:00am and 6:00pm Monday – Friday.

Santa Monica-Malibu Unified School District
1651 16th Street
Santa Monica, California 90404