SMMUSD is pleased to make school facilities available for rental when they are not being used for school programs and activities. The Facility Permits Office coordinates all outside use of school facilities including filming on school property, large special events, meetings, after school programs, and the use of auditoriums and other theatrical spaces.
All outside events require a permit from the Facility Permits Office.
How to obtain a facility use permit:
- RULES OF USE: Please review the Rules of Use for Facilities when considering the use of school facilities. There are policies and regulations (such as the State law prohibiting the use of tobacco and alcohol on school sites) that you need to be aware of and be willing to honor.
- AVAILABILITY: Please download and fill out an Availability Request Form.
- Submitting an Availability Request Form does not commit you to a rental or reserve a space.
- NEED HELP SELECTING A FACILITY? Leave blank the boxes referring to "school site" and "facility."
- Return the Availability Request Form to the Facility Permit Office by email (firstname.lastname@example.org), fax (310-255-7992) or mail (Santa Monica HS, Attn: Facility Permits, 601 Pico Blvd., Santa Monica, CA 90405.)
- Our office will send the Availability Request Form to the appropriate Administrator to determine if the facility is available on the date and time of your request.
- ESTIMATE: If the facility is available, our office will send you a rough estimate of costs. The estimate may be revised as we learn more about your event and your needs.
RENTAL AGREEMENT: If you choose to proceed, the Permit Office develops a rental agreement and invoice for the permit.
- All organizations are required to pay the $25 permit fee and any direct personnel costs, even if there is no facility rental fee.
- To determine your fee category, either use the Rate Flow Chart.
- Rental Fees are based on the Facility Fee Schedule approved by the Board of Education.
- SUBMIT DOCUMENTS: To complete the permit, you will need to provide the following items to the Permit Office:
- Signed agreement It must be signed by an authorized representative of your group.
- Check for rental fee as per the invoice.
- Check for security deposit. If a refundable security deposit is required as part of this agreement, the amount will be determined by the Facility Permits Office. Your check will be held and returned, uncashed, unless needed to cover damage or personnel overages.
- Insurance certificate. You must present a Certificate of Liability Insurance of at least $1,000,000 naming SMMUSD as additionally insured. If your group does not have liability insurance, let us know and we can help you obtain insurance for your event.
- Non-Profit Non-profit organizations must present their letter of determination from the IRS to receive the lower non-profit rates.
- FACILITY USE PERMIT: When all documents have been received, the Facility Permits Office will issue you a rental permit. You must have a copy of the permit with you while you are on the facility. Facility use is approved only when a completed permit has been issued.
For more information, please contact the Facility Permit Office. Our office is in the basement of Barnum Hall on the campus of Santa Monica High School. The office is open for telephone calls from 9:30am - 6:00pm, Monday Friday, at 310-395-3204, ext. 71586. For personal visits, please phone ahead, though we are usually in the office between 9:00am and 6:00pm Monday Friday.