Interdistrict Permit Information 2012/2013
Although students generally must attend school in the district and school where their residence has been established, the Santa Monica-Malibu School District Governing Board recognizes justifiable reasons for interdistrict permits.
Upon request, the Superintendent or designee may accept students from other districts and may also allow students who live within the District to transfer out of the District.
Who can apply for an interdistrict permit?
According to the Board of Education Policy 5117, the District will accept new permit applications for all schools and grades in the city of Malibu and for grades K through 11 only in the city of Santa Monica.
Based on space available, priority will be given to the following school board designated applicant groups:
- Interdistrict permits for children of employees of the Santa Monica-Malibu Unified School District [certificated, classified, management, full and part-time (a minimum of 15 hours per week)];
- Those students "in good standing" who have been attending school/s within SMMUSD as a resident of the District, for a minimum period of three complete school years, and subsequently relocate outside the boundaries of SMMUSD.
- Siblings of current interdistrict permit holders. If a permit is received (granted) there is no guarantee of same-school placement.
- International High School students on a case-by-case basis.
- Children of employees of the cities of Malibu or Santa Monica.
- Children of full-time, permanent employees of Santa Monica College.
- Children of alumni of Santa Monica High School, Malibu High School, or Olympic High School. Parent must attach a copy of graduation diploma to the permit application.
- Children of individuals working within the boundaries of SMMUSD.
- Grandchildren of residents of Santa Monica or Malibu who have resided in Santa Monica or Malibu for five years or more.
- Guidelines previously applied to the Preschools, SMASH, and Edison, including the immersion program through Grade 8, will remain in effect.
How can eligible families apply for NEW Interdistrict Permits?
New applicants must submit the following documents:
- SMMUSD Interdistrict Application Form
- A release from your school district of residence
- Priority group applicants must also attach proof of employment, alumni status, residency and relationship to grandchildren.
All documents must be submitted together. Incomplete applications will not be processed. Do not send or deliver documents separately. Forms should be returned to the District Office at 1651 16th Street, SM 90404. No faxes will be accepted.
Final approval of permits for all students shall rest at the District and shall be contingent upon space, budget and staff availability. Student Services staff will notify you if we are able to offer a permit to your child.
What about students who are already in the district on a permit?
Effective January 1, 2011 a new law, Assembly Bill (AB) 2444, simplifies the permit process for continuing permit students. Under AB 2444, a student who is already enrolled in a school district on an interdistrict permit, no longer has to reapply annually for a release from their resident school district.
Continuing permit students attending SMMUSD must complete a “Verification of Continuing Enrollment Form” and submit it to Student Services by June 30, 2012.
When the “Continuing Enrollment Form” is submitted, Student Services will not contact you unless:
- your child's application is incomplete, or,
- your child's permit is cancelled due to violations of the SMMUSD Permit Contract