Interdistrict Permit Information - 2011/2012
Click here for Parent Letter
Although students generally must attend school in the district and school where their residence has been established, the Santa Monica-Malibu School District Governing Board recognizes justifiable reasons for interdistrict permits.
Upon request, the Superintendent or designee may accept students from other districts and may also allow students who live within the District to transfer out of the District. Permits will be issued on a year-to-year basis. Parents must reapply and be accepted for continued attendance each year.
Who can apply for an interdistrict permit?
According to the Board of Education Policy 5117, the District will accept new permit applications for all schools and grades in the city of Malibu and for grades K through 6 only in the city of Santa Monica.
No new permits will be issued for grades 7 through 12 for the schools in Santa Monica.
Based on space available, priority will be given to the following school board designated applicant groups:
- Employees of the Santa Monica-Malibu School District
- Siblings of students currently on permit
- Employees of the City of Santa Monica and the City of Malibu
- Full time employees of Santa Monica College
- Children of SMMUSD Alumni
- SMMUSD students in good standing who were residents of Santa Monica or Malibu during the 2001-2002 school year, and subsequently move to another city, will be allowed to remain in the Santa Monica-Malibu School district as permit students, upon receiving a permit from their district of residence.
- Guidelines previously applied to the Preschools, SMASH, and Edison, including the immersion program through Grade 8, will remain in effect.
How can eligible families apply for NEW Interdistrict Permits?
New applicants must submit the following documents:
- Waiting List Form
- SMMUSD Interdistrict Application Form
- A release from your school district of residence
- Priority group applicants must also attach proof of employment or alumni status.
All documents must be submitted together. Do not send or deliver documents separately. Forms should be returned to the District Office at 1651 16th Street, SM 90404. No faxes will be accepted. The permit application deadline is June 30th.
Final approval of permits for all students shall rest at the District and shall be contingent upon space, budget and staff availability. Student Services staff will notify you if we are able to offer a permit to your child.
What about students who are already in the district on a permit?
Effective January 1, 2011 a new law, Assembly Bill (AB) 2444, simplifies the permit process for continuing permit students. Under AB 2444, a student who is already enrolled in a school district on an interdistrict permit, no longer has to reapply annually for a release from their resident school district.
This year, to renew your child’s SMMUSD permit, you must complete the SMMUSD permit application and submit it to Student Services by June 30, 2011.
When we receive your child’s permit renewal application we will automatically renew your child’s permit.
We will not contact you unless:
- your child’s application is incomplete, or,
- your child’s permit is cancelled due to violations of the SMMUSD Permit Contract
All students applying for a permit for the first time will still need to get a release from their home school district.
For additional information about the permit process?
Contact the Permit Office at 310-450-8338, ext. 70208 or email email@example.com